Fall has arrived and you wouldn’t know it! The weather continues to be hot and we know many of you are itching to get started on your fall and winter projects. We also have our fall work lined up for us and we fell slightly behind with keeping you up to date in August. Many of you knew our mother, Irene Kierski. She came to all of the festivals except the last few due to her physical limitations and health. She traveled with us the last couple of years to some regional and local shows. Even though she was no longer able to knit, crochet or stitch, she enjoyed the beautiful colors seen on the show floors and appreciated the work of our hands in the exhibition halls. Our mom passed away in August. She taught us many good lessons in life, among them, to appreciate the beauty of simplicity. Whether a hand made sweater, a quilted bed cover, an embroidered pillowcase or a lace handkerchief, she showed us the value of an item made by hand with love is an item to treasure.
We know that each and every one of you who works with their hands appreciates a gift made from a loved one, no matter how small. Keep on stitching, knitting, crocheting, weaving, spinning and know that your work is more valuable than a pot of gold!
Fall is the time for Festivals, markets, fairs and shows. Some of the fall shows are included in our travel plans. We attend them to keep fresh, get new ideas, seek out new instructors and exhibitors to enhance the Festival in March.
There is no shortage of regional shows to attend in the upcoming weeks:
- PA National Quilt Extravaganza in Philadelphia started the circuit last week. With an exhibition of magnificent quilts from around the world, it’s worth putting on your calendar each year. The quilt pictured above is called “Bug Love” by Barbara Cain. Some of you may remember taking a class with Barbara previously.
- Quilting on the Bayfront in Erie, PA. Sept.17-21st, 2019
- Knitter’s Day Out in Harrisburg, PA. Sept 27-28, 2019
- Autumn Fiber Fest in Ashland, OH. October 19-20, 2019
- Annual Wool Gathering in Yellow Springs, OH. Sept 21-22, 2019
- Celebration of Quilts, Beaver Valley Piecemakers, Beaver Falls, PA. October 10-12, 2019
- Raggz Fiber Affair, Delmont, PA. October 19, 2019.
Fall is also the time when we begin making our final class selections. We also love taking walks when the weather starts to cool and enjoying the splendor of the autumn colors.
Sweepstakes Giveaways Winners:
One Skein of Berroco Aurora Borealis: Maryann Tarr of Pittsburgh, PA
One Skein of Lang Mohair Luxe yarn: Jeannie Turney of Girard, OH
One 5″ Embroidery Hoop and Hand Dyed Fabrics: Rose Weber of Pittsburgh, PA