Sweater Starter – Knit your first sweater! with Jennifer Ferrence
Please scroll down for complete class description
Class Title: Sweater Starter – Knit your first sweater!
Teacher Name: Jennifer Ferrence
Class Length: 3 hours
Class Fee: $40.00
Class Day/Time: Saturday, 2:00 pm to 5:00 pm
Does your Finished Projects list include everything except that first sweater? In this class, you can gain the confidence to create any size sweater without being afraid of wasting yarn or time. We are going to take it step-by-step and piece-by-piece on a smaller scale as we knit a baby sweater. Once you’ve completed this class, you will be able to create a sweater for yourself, according to your measurements, with confidence! We will work on a front, back, and sleeves separately and begin seaming the finished pieces together to create a pull-over style sweater. Some of the topics we will address include: Yarn and needle choice, gauge and sizing, basic stitch patterns, seamed versus seamless, placement of increases and decreases, shaping neck, picking up stitches, mattress stitch and finishing, three-needle bind-off versus Kitchener stitch, and elastic bind-off. You will learn how to customize your sweater’s cuffs, hem, and neckline, and how to make sure it will fit when you are done with it! Additional time will be made available after class should you require a little extra time and guidance from instructor.
Students taking this class receive a BONUS gift from our sponsors!
Level: Intermediate and Advanced
Registration necessary, class size limited
- 200 yards Bulky weight yarn, wool or something with similar elasticity is easiest to work with. Please choose a smooth, solid color yarn, and avoid dark colors that would make it difficult to see stitches while learning new skills.
- Size 10.5 circular or straight needles or size needed to obtain a gauge of 12 sts and 18 rows per 4 inches/10 cm.
- Double pointed needles two sizes smaller than those needed to obtain gauge.
Materials Fee: None
- Make 2 swatches (this will be the beginning of the front and back of your sweater):
- CO 27 sts with required yarn and circular or straight needles.
- Row 1 (WS): (P1, K1) to last stitch, P1
- Row 2 (RS): (K1, P1) to last stitch, K1
- Repeat these two rows for 1 inch.
- Work in stockinette stitch until piece measures 5 inches from cast on edge.
- Place swatch on a piece of scrap yarn or a stitch holder.
- Make a second swatch, following the directions the same way. (Leave this swatch on the needles).
A 3.00 electronic administrative fee will be added for all online registration transactions.
An Admission ticket must be purchased to attend all classes
Scroll back to top to add this class to your cart